Relatives say the decision deepened frustrations over how Michigan handles violent juvenile crime cases.
BATTLE CREEK, Mich. — The family of slain Battle Creek teenager Jack Snyder is speaking out after a judge approved the release of a teen connected to the fatal 2023 carjacking attempt that ended the high school senior’s life.
Calhoun County court officials ruled Thursday that Dewond Estes III, now 16, could leave juvenile custody under strict supervision after completing educational and treatment requirements ordered during sentencing. The decision reopened emotional wounds for Snyder’s relatives, who said they believed Estes would remain confined for years longer. The release also reignited debate surrounding Michigan’s blended sentencing system, which allows juvenile offenders to avoid extended adult prison terms if they show progress in rehabilitation programs.
Snyder was 17 when he was killed on Feb. 17, 2023. Investigators said he had been driving home after attending his girlfriend’s birthday celebration when he noticed two teenagers walking in cold weather along Battle Creek Avenue. According to police, Snyder offered the boys a ride home. Prosecutors later alleged the teenagers intended to steal a car and had discussed obtaining one before encountering Snyder. During the attempted carjacking, a struggle broke out inside the vehicle and Snyder was shot. Authorities identified the two suspects as Justice Chimner and Dewond Estes III, who were both charged as adults later that year. Chimner admitted to firing the gun, while Estes maintained he did not pull the trigger. Still, prosecutors argued Estes actively participated in the attempted robbery that led to Snyder’s death.
Estes accepted a plea agreement in October 2024 that allowed him to plead guilty to carjacking while prosecutors dismissed an open murder charge. Months later, Judge John Hallacy imposed a blended sentence that kept Estes under the supervision of Michigan’s Department of Health and Human Services. The judge warned at sentencing that the teenager’s future depended on his conduct and progress while in custody. Under Thursday’s ruling, Estes will now live under intensive probation conditions that include electronic monitoring, court supervision and restrictions preventing any contact with Snyder’s relatives. Prosecutors told the court the teen had completed school requirements and rehabilitation programming. His mother said the structured environment helped transform his behavior and outlook. Relatives of Snyder, however, described the outcome as devastating and inconsistent with the seriousness of the crime.
Family members said they continue struggling with the loss of a teenager they described as generous and kindhearted. Snyder’s death received widespread attention because investigators said he stopped to help strangers before being attacked. In earlier hearings, his parents said birthdays, graduations and holidays have become painful reminders of the life their son never had the chance to live. The family also questioned whether Michigan’s juvenile justice laws place too much emphasis on rehabilitation in violent cases. Similar concerns have surfaced in other high-profile criminal proceedings involving teenage suspects across the state. Legal experts note that blended sentencing laws were designed to balance accountability with the belief that adolescents may be capable of meaningful change before adulthood. Victims’ advocates, however, often argue the structure can leave families feeling excluded from sentencing outcomes.
The courtroom hearing Thursday remained tense as attorneys reviewed probation terms and future monitoring plans. Estes did not publicly address the Snyder family during the proceeding. Earlier hearings in the case included emotional victim impact statements and discussions about whether the teen fully understood the consequences of his actions. Court officials confirmed another hearing is scheduled within the next month to review Estes’ transition into community supervision. If he violates conditions tied to probation, the court could reconsider the sentence and potentially impose stronger penalties. Investigators also continue searching for another individual tied to allegations that the teenagers had discussed stealing a vehicle before the killing occurred. Authorities have not released new updates regarding that investigation.
Outside the courthouse, reactions reflected a community still divided more than three years after Snyder’s death. Some residents expressed sympathy for a teenager who entered the justice system at a young age and spent formative years inside detention facilities. Others said Snyder’s family deserved stronger punishment for everyone involved in the attempted carjacking. Friends of Snyder carried memories of his final act of kindness into conversations after the hearing, describing him as someone who regularly helped classmates and strangers alike. As news of the release spread online and across West Michigan, debate continued over whether rehabilitation and accountability can coexist in cases involving deadly violence.
The next court review hearing for Estes is expected within 30 days as officials evaluate his compliance with probation rules and community supervision requirements. Snyder’s family has indicated they plan to continue attending hearings connected to the case.
Author note: Last updated May 23, 2026.