Police say the accused shooter has not been arrested following the early-morning attack.
HOUSTON, Texas — A 45-year-old man charged with murder in a deadly Richmond Avenue shooting remained on the run Thursday as Houston police continued investigating the fatal attack outside a west Houston business district.
Investigators said the shooting happened shortly after 4 a.m. Wednesday outside a commercial property near 9387 Richmond Avenue. Officers responding to emergency calls found a 38-year-old man suffering from gunshot wounds in the parking lot. The victim died before he could be transported to a hospital. Authorities later identified Emilio Fuentes Cuellar as the suspect and filed a murder charge while the search for him continued.
Police said the violence unfolded during the overnight hours in a busy corridor filled with restaurants, salons and retail businesses. Officers arriving at the scene closed off sections of the shopping center as homicide detectives photographed evidence and interviewed witnesses. Houston Fire Department paramedics confirmed the victim’s death at the location. Investigators have not publicly explained what triggered the shooting or whether there had been an argument before gunfire erupted. By Wednesday afternoon, detectives had linked Cuellar to the case and secured a murder charge through Harris County prosecutors. Authorities released a photograph of the suspect as officers searched for leads across the Houston area.
Detectives with the Houston Police Department Homicide Division said witness statements and surveillance recordings played a major role in identifying the suspect within hours of the shooting. Businesses along Richmond Avenue often use overnight security cameras, and investigators spent several hours reviewing footage from surrounding storefronts. Police have not said how many shots were fired or whether other people were present during the confrontation. The Harris County Institute of Forensic Sciences is expected to complete formal identification procedures for the victim before releasing his name publicly. Investigators also continue processing ballistic evidence collected from the parking lot.
Residents and workers in the area described seeing multiple patrol vehicles and crime scene investigators surrounding the property Wednesday morning. Several businesses delayed opening while officers documented the scene. Richmond Avenue serves as one of west Houston’s busiest commercial corridors and has been the focus of repeated police responses tied to overnight disturbances and violent crimes. Community members said the latest homicide added to concerns about security in shopping center parking lots during overnight business hours. Houston police officials have not announced whether additional patrols will be assigned to the area following the shooting.
The criminal case against Cuellar cannot move forward until the suspect is arrested and appears before a judge. Murder charges in Texas are typically filed after investigators present preliminary evidence to prosecutors, even if a suspect has not yet been detained. Court records show the charge was filed in the 495th Criminal District Court. Detectives said the investigation remains active and additional evidence could be presented as forensic testing continues. Authorities also said they are working to establish a complete timeline of the suspect’s movements before and after the shooting.
Crime scene activity gradually cleared Wednesday afternoon, but investigators returned to the area later in the day to speak with additional witnesses. Workers nearby said detectives appeared focused on tracing movements through the shopping center parking lot. One employee said the shooting rattled business owners who regularly prepare stores before dawn. Police urged anyone who may have seen suspicious activity near the property early Wednesday to contact investigators. Authorities also reminded residents that anonymous tips can be submitted through Crime Stoppers.
The accused suspect had not been located by Thursday night, and police said search efforts would continue. Investigators are expected to release additional information after the victim’s identity is formally confirmed and detectives complete more witness interviews.
Author note: Last updated May 22, 2026.