Knife-Wielding Man Killed After Child Escapes Florida Standoff

Authorities said negotiators tried for hours before the armed man advanced toward SWAT deputies.

SUMTER COUNTY, Fla. — A man was killed by Sumter County deputies Friday after officials said a domestic-related call became an hourslong standoff at a home on Northwest 40th Terrace in Lake Panasoffkee.

The case began with a report of a suicidal man armed with a knife and ended after sheriff’s officials said he charged at SWAT deputies. A woman and young child were removed from the home before the shooting. State investigators are now reviewing the use of force.

The Sumter County Sheriff’s Office said deputies were called to the home around 1:30 a.m. Friday after a domestic dispute. When deputies arrived, the man had a knife and barricaded himself in a bedroom, officials said. Negotiators and SWAT members tried to get him to surrender for several hours. The sheriff’s office said the talks failed after the man made threats. Deputies said he then moved toward SWAT members while armed.

Officials said deputies used less-lethal rounds before firing their weapons. The man was hit and later pronounced dead at the home after deputies and emergency crews tried to save him. His girlfriend and a small child, who officials said lived at the home, had already been evacuated. Authorities did not report injuries to the woman, the child or deputies. The man’s identity was being withheld pending family notification.

The shooting drew investigators, patrol vehicles and the medical examiner to the residential area near County Road 400. Video from above the scene showed crime scene tape around the property and investigators working near the mobile home. The sheriff’s office said deputies had one prior call to the address in 2025. Officials said the agency’s last deputy-involved shooting before Friday happened in 2024.

The Florida Department of Law Enforcement has taken over the shooting investigation. That review is expected to examine the timeline, witness statements, physical evidence and the actions of the deputies who fired. The sheriff’s office has not released the number of deputies involved, whether body camera footage exists or when more findings may be made public.

Residents nearby said they were surprised by the standoff. One neighbor said the family was usually quiet and had been seen walking a dog in the days before the shooting. Another neighbor said the incident changed the feeling of the area. “I don’t know what to expect,” the neighbor said, describing the law enforcement response and crime scene tape around the home.

As of Saturday, the man’s name had not been released, and FDLE’s review remained pending. The sheriff’s office said additional information would be released as the investigation allows.

Author note: Last updated May 23, 2026.