Witnesses reported yelling and several gunshots before the suspect fled.
LOS ANGELES — Police were searching Monday for a gunman who killed a man near a South Los Angeles food stand after an early morning argument, authorities said.
The shooting happened just before 2 a.m. Sunday near Slauson and Holmes avenues. The victim’s family identified him as 30-year-old Dashawn Coleman. Police said the shooter left the area in a vehicle, and no suspect description had been released.
Los Angeles police said Coleman approached a vehicle before the argument began. Moments later, gunfire broke out. First responders gave aid at the scene, but Coleman died from his injuries. Police have not said what led to the dispute. They also have not said how many people were inside the vehicle or whether the shooter was the driver or a passenger.
A worker at the taco stand, Jordan Guzman, said he heard people yelling before the shots. Guzman said he heard about seven to eight gunshots and was too frightened to move. Video from the scene showed bullet holes in a nearby fence. Investigators have not released the type of gun used or said whether shell casings or surveillance video were recovered.
Coleman’s family said they want the case solved. His brother, Brett Balley, said relatives are struggling with the lack of answers. Balley said Coleman was loving and helped care for others. The family’s comments came as police continued to search for the person who fled after the shooting.
The killing happened along a commercial stretch of South Los Angeles where food vendors and late-night customers are common. Police have not announced whether detectives are reviewing nearby cameras or interviewing additional witnesses. Officials said the motive remained unclear.
No arrest had been reported Monday. The next step in the case is the search for the gunman and the vehicle seen leaving the area after the shooting.
Author note: Last updated May 18, 2026.