Authorities said a 15-year-old boy was wounded during an attempted robbery aboard a No. 6 subway train.
BRONX, N.Y. — Police are searching for several suspects accused of stabbing a 15-year-old boy aboard a subway train Tuesday night after an attempted robbery near the Whitlock Avenue station in Longwood.
According to investigators, the violence unfolded around 10:06 p.m. as a Manhattan-bound No. 6 train approached the station. Police said the teen and an 18-year-old companion were confronted by a group that demanded property from them. During the confrontation, one suspect stabbed the younger victim in the stomach before the group escaped from the train. Emergency responders transported the injured boy to Jacobi Medical Center, where officials said he was expected to survive.
Detectives said the attack happened within minutes after the teenagers boarded the train earlier in the evening. Investigators believe the suspects moved toward the pair before attempting to rob them. Police said the older teen struggled with the group during the encounter and managed to hold onto his belongings before the violence escalated. Officers responding to emergency calls found the 15-year-old suffering from a stab wound after the train reached Whitlock Avenue. Witnesses described panic inside the subway car as passengers moved away from the confrontation. Transit officers temporarily closed portions of the platform while detectives collected evidence and reviewed camera footage from nearby stations. Authorities said the suspects fled on foot immediately after leaving the train.
Police have not publicly identified the suspects, though investigators said one person involved was believed to be wearing a ski mask at the time of the stabbing. Detectives spent Wednesday interviewing witnesses and examining surveillance video from the station and surrounding streets in Longwood. Officials have not determined whether the victims were specifically targeted or randomly approached. The younger victim remained under medical care Wednesday while investigators worked to reconstruct the moments leading up to the attack. Police said no weapons had been recovered as of Wednesday evening. Commuters passing through the station reported seeing additional police officers and investigators near entrances throughout the day as authorities continued canvassing the neighborhood.
The incident added to continuing concerns about violent crime involving teenagers across New York City transit systems. Several recent assaults and robberies involving young victims have been reported in the Bronx, including attacks near subway stations and transit corridors. Longwood, a densely populated South Bronx neighborhood, experiences heavy late-night subway traffic because of its connection to multiple transit routes and nearby commercial areas. Transit riders interviewed near Whitlock Avenue on Wednesday said the stabbing renewed fears about overnight train travel. City officials have announced plans in recent months to expand police presence in parts of the Bronx and on subway platforms following a series of violent incidents involving knives, robberies and assaults.
Investigators said the case remains active and additional details could be released as detectives review evidence. Police are examining footage from station cameras, onboard train systems and nearby businesses to identify the suspects and track their movements before and after the stabbing. Detectives are also reviewing electronic transit entry data connected to riders who entered nearby stations around the time of the attack. No arrests had been made by late Wednesday. Authorities said the investigation includes coordination between transit officers, Bronx detectives and robbery investigators. Officials did not announce any immediate service changes or station closures connected to the incident.
Residents and subway riders near the station reacted with concern Wednesday as news of the stabbing spread through the neighborhood. Some commuters said they avoided sitting in mostly empty train cars late at night because of recent incidents across the city. Others said police visibility around the station appeared heavier than usual throughout the day. Store owners near the elevated tracks said officers moved through the area repeatedly while investigators spoke with potential witnesses. One resident standing outside the station entrance said the violence involving teenagers was becoming increasingly troubling. Nearby traffic and train service continued normally while detectives completed their work around the platform and station exits.
The injured teenager remained in stable condition Wednesday night as police continued searching for the suspects involved in the attempted robbery. Investigators said surveillance footage and witness interviews remain central to the ongoing case.
Author note: Last updated May 20, 2026.