Woman Suffers Severe Burn Injuries After Propane Explosion Destroys Big Sky Home

BIG SKY, Montana – A devastating propane explosion tore through a home in Big Sky, Montana, resulting in one woman sustaining severe burn injuries on Friday, March 29.

The explosion, which rocked the Cascade Ridge Subdivision on Lower Cascade Ridge Road near the popular Big Sky Resort’s Little Thunder ski lift, caused significant damage to the property. Witnesses in the area reported seeing windows and doors blow out as flames engulfed the residence. Fortunately, the fire did not spread to neighboring buildings.

Multiple fire departments, including the Big Sky Fire Department, Yellowstone Mountain Rural Club Fire Department, Bozeman Fire Department, Gallatin Gateway Fire Department, and Hyalite Fire Department, along with the Gallatin County Sheriff’s Office, collaborated to extinguish the blaze. Their rapid response was crucial in containing the fire and preventing further destruction.

The Big Sky Fire Department confirmed the severity of the incident, mentioning that the primary fire occupancy was completely destroyed. Despite the aggressive efforts of the firefighters to protect nearby structures, the neighboring properties suffered minor damage. The occupant of the residence endured life-threatening injuries and was promptly airlifted to a Regional Burn Center for urgent medical attention.

Following the tragedy, Big Sky Fire Chief Greg Megaard emphasized the importance of propane safety. He advised residents to take immediate action if they suspect a gas leak, urging them to evacuate the premises, turn off all heating sources, and refrain from using any electronic devices that could ignite flammable gases.

Given that most homes in the Big Sky area rely on propane as a primary source of energy, incidents related to gas leaks are not uncommon. Chief Megaard stressed the significance of reporting any suspicions or concerns regarding gas leaks promptly to the fire department. Proactive measures can prevent catastrophic events such as the recent explosion from occurring.

As the community comes to terms with the aftermath of the explosion, residents are reminded to prioritize safety when dealing with propane and other flammable gases. The incident serves as a stark reminder of the potential dangers associated with gas leaks and the necessity of vigilant maintenance and monitoring to ensure the well-being of residents.