Two Hospitalized After Home Explosion in Northern New York Sparks Investigation

Raquette Lake, New York – Two individuals were hospitalized following a home explosion in northern New York last Thursday morning. The incident occurred at a residence on Killkare Road in Raquette Lake, prompting a response from local authorities after reports of a fire were received.

According to investigators, a 34-year-old man named Joshua Vandyke was in the home’s boiler room with a 3-year-old child, attempting to repair a water line. In an unfortunate turn of events, Vandyke’s attempt to ignite a torch resulted in a powerful explosion that caused severe burns to both himself and the young child.

Fortunately, a nearby contractor who heard the explosion acted swiftly to locate the fire and extinguish it before emergency responders arrived at the scene. Following the explosion, Vandyke and the child were rushed to SUNY Upstate Medical University via Life Net for treatment. At present, both individuals are reported to be in stable condition.

Authorities have determined that the explosion was accidental in nature, emphasizing the importance of safety precautions when handling repair work in homes. The incident serves as a reminder of the potential dangers that can arise during DIY projects involving fire or gas-related tasks.

As investigations into the explosion continue, the community in Raquette Lake remains vigilant and supportive of Vandyke and the child as they undergo treatment and recovery. The incident has sparked discussions on home safety measures and the need for proper training and equipment when conducting repairs that involve potential risks.

The quick actions of the contractor in responding to the emergency have been commended by local residents, highlighting the importance of being prepared for unforeseen events. As the affected individuals recuperate from their injuries, the incident stands as a poignant reminder of the importance of caution and awareness when working on home maintenance tasks.