Terrifying dispute: Driver beats passenger to death over fare

BROOKLYN, NY – The New York Police Department has arrested a car service driver in connection with a fatal assault in Brooklyn last week. The suspect, identified as 33-year-old Sergio Zamora-Mendoza, is facing charges of manslaughter and assault for the incident that occurred on December 7. The altercation resulted in one man’s death and his cousin sustaining severe injuries.

The violent incident took place around 4:40 a.m. on West 9th Street near Avenue T in Gravesend. Details suggest that a disagreement between Zamora-Mendoza and the victims, Carlos Guaman, 66, and his 52-year-old cousin, escalated into violence. The driver allegedly exited the vehicle and repeatedly struck them in the head before fleeing the scene.

Home video shows police responding at around 4:30 a.m., where they found the two men on the ground unconscious. Emergency services arrived to find the cousins with severe head injuries. Both were immediately transported to Maimonides Medical Center, where Guaman was pronounced dead on arrival. His cousin remains in critical but stable condition.

The younger cousin – who had been drinking and was still highly intoxicated after the attack – told investigators he did not remember what happened, sources said. Police believe that the dispute started over the cost of the fair. The driver exited his vehicle and began a brutal attack that eventually left the cousins unconscious. The vicious attack was captured on a doorbell camera, providing evidence for the ongoing investigation.

The community is grappling with shock over the violent incident, as it is considered rare in this normally quiet and peaceful neighborhood. Local residents, who have lived in the area for nearly nine years, expressed their concern and shared their surprise at the uncharacteristic act of violence. A man who only identified himself as Tedo told a news outlet that he doesn’t usually see anybody fighting and that it’s always a quiet neighborhood. “It is so bad what happened and so near to Christmas,” he added.

As the investigation continues, police ask that anyone with relevant information contact them.