District leaders canceled weekend events and added counselors and campus security after the killing.
SACRAMENTO, Calif. — A deadly shooting at Natomas High School on Friday afternoon left one student dead, sent police searching for a suspected student gunman and forced school and city leaders to shift quickly from dismissal routines to crisis response.
Police said officers were dispatched just after 3:30 p.m. to the campus on Truxel Road, where they found a juvenile with at least one gunshot wound. The victim later died, and authorities said the suspected shooter, identified as a current Natomas High student, had not been arrested by late Friday. The killing set off a lockdown, drew officers to nearby apartments and pushed district officials to cancel public events, promise counseling and prepare for a tense return to school operations.
The first hours after the shooting were defined by confusion and urgency. Families learned there had been gunfire as students were leaving for the day, and law enforcement moved quickly to secure the campus and search the surrounding area. Sacramento police said the shooting took place in an open area of the school. Natomas Unified later told families the victim was a former Natomas High student who was then attending another local high school. That detail underscored how connected the neighborhood’s campuses are and why the news traveled so quickly through students, relatives and school staff. Police did not immediately release names, a motive or details about the relationship between the two students, leaving a cloud of uncertainty over a community that was already grieving before the day had ended.
Outside the immediate crime scene, the response spread into the neighborhood. Officers were seen at Natomas Village apartments across from the campus, and a sheriff’s SWAT vehicle was reported in the complex as the search continued. The visible police activity signaled that investigators believed the suspect might be nearby, though authorities did not say publicly whether they had tracked a specific lead there. City Councilmember Karina Talamantes said the shooting happened after school got out, a timing that likely increased the number of students and families exposed to the fear and disruption. District officials, meanwhile, told families that police had indicated the victim was intentionally targeted and that the shooting appeared to be an isolated incident. Even so, unanswered questions about access to the weapon and the suspect’s movements remained central to the investigation.
By Friday night, the district’s focus had widened from the criminal case to the broader fallout inside schools. Natomas Unified said counselors would be available to help students and employees process the killing. It also canceled a multicultural festival scheduled for Saturday, a sign that the district was clearing space for mourning and support rather than asking families to move straight into ordinary events. School board member Micah Grant said the district had activated its safe schools team, psychologists and counselors, while also arranging a heightened safety presence on campuses. Those steps reflected a familiar pattern in the aftermath of school violence: first stabilize the scene, then stabilize the community. But in Natomas, officials were also confronting a harsh reality that school safety plans can soften chaos after the fact while doing little to ease the grief that follows a student’s death.
The voices from public officials were measured but direct. Police spokesperson Anthony Gamble said the case tugged at everyone at the scene, highlighting the emotional strain on officers and educators who responded. Talamantes said her thoughts were with the victim, students, staff and families. State Sen. Angelique Ashby said her office would work alongside local agencies as the case unfolds. The district’s message to families leaned into community language, describing Natomas as close-knit and acknowledging the wide range of emotions the shooting was expected to bring. That public tone matters in moments like this because school districts are not only sharing facts; they are also trying to signal steadiness. Still, the district could not answer the biggest questions Friday night because police had not yet made an arrest and many parts of the case were still unsettled.
Where the case goes next will depend on when investigators locate the suspect and what evidence they recover from the campus, the surrounding neighborhood and any electronic records tied to the students involved. Police had not announced charges Friday night because no arrest had been made. More information was expected once detectives completed initial interviews and processed the scene. In the meantime, the district said it would move ahead with counseling and added security while families waited for clearer answers about how the shooting happened and what school officials and law enforcement may change afterward. The immediate challenge was twofold: continue the manhunt and help a shaken school community face the next school day.
Late Friday, the suspect was still being sought and the district’s support plan was already in motion. The next milestone was expected to come with updated police findings and the district’s first full school-day response after the campus violence.
Author note: Last updated April 12, 2026.