New Details Emerge in Preliminary Hearing for Suspect Linked to South Platte River Shootings

Denver, Colorado – Testimony presented during a preliminary hearing shed light on the details surrounding the September shootings that took the lives of two individuals along the South Platte River bike path.

Denver Police authorities have stated that there is no evidence to suggest that the two victims who were fatally shot along the bike path were acquainted with the suspect charged with their murders. Tanner Fielder, 32, is currently facing first-degree murder charges in relation to the deaths of Jeremy Hutcheson, 43, and Lluvia Robles-Banuelos, 31.

The tragic events unfolded when Robles-Banuelos was killed in the early hours of September 6 near East 45th Avenue and North Washington Street. Just three days later, Hutcheson met a similar fate, being shot while riding his bike on the night of September 9 near South Platte River Drive and West Florida Avenue.

Details surrounding the cases have been scarce, but information revealed during the hearing shed light on how investigators tracked down the suspect responsible for the shootings. Early on in the investigation, Denver authorities drew connections between the two incidents.

According to the testimony provided, there is no indication that the shootings were attempted robberies. The victims likely did not have prior knowledge of their assailant, as there is no clear motive established for the crimes. Investigators found that the shell casings recovered from both crime scenes were discharged from the same firearm, and additional evidence linked Fielder to the homicides through found shell casings in his vehicle.

Five years prior to the shootings, Fielder’s mother sought a protection order against him, citing concerns about his mental health. Despite dismissing the order in 2021 with a hope to assist him in seeking treatment, Fielder now faces the consequence of his alleged actions.

The preliminary hearing, aimed at determining the sufficiency of evidence to proceed with the case, spanned hours with testimony from various sources. The ongoing investigation is set to continue at a hearing scheduled for August, while Fielder remains in custody on a $5 million bond.